No confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus at ANMC or in AlaskaFebruary 5, 2020
Alaska Native Medical Center does not have a confirmed Novel Coronavirus patient and there are no confirmed cases in Alaska. In case of a confirmed Novel Coronavirus patient, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health would provide information to the public. ANMC is prepared to treat and control the spread of infectious disease and is continuing to prepare in the event the recommendations evolve.
Other strains of Coronavirus are very common and do not cause symptoms more severe than the common cold.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
For the latest information in Alaska, please visit: http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/Human-Coronavirus.aspx
You can also visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html