March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month: 5 ways you can reduce the risk of colorectal cancerMarch 26, 2018
Categories: Healthy Homes and Communities
March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month; colorectal cancer is one of the most frequently diagnosed cancers among Alaska Native people. Download the informational graphic here. 5 ways you can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer
- Quit smoking and/or using other forms of tobacco, including chew and iq’mik.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity can reduce your risk of colorectal cancer by as much as 50%.
- Eat well and keep a healthy weight. Discuss a diet and exercise that works for you with your provider.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Drink more water.
- Get screened. Screening is recommended for Alaska Native people age 40 and older, and all adults age 50 and older.