Are you traveling out of Alaska anytime soon? Answers to your questions for emergency medical care

July 30, 2019

ANMC Purchased and Referred Care (PRC) offers limited benefits to eligible Alaska Native and American Indian people to help with emergency medical care while traveling out of Alaska. 

Who is eligible?

Patients who meet ANMC’s eligibility criteria and residency requirements. To meet residency requirements, the individual must not have been absent from Alaska for more than 180 days; and intend to live in Alaska indefinitely.

Other criteria for eligibility includes: must provide proof of Tribal enrolment or descent, legal dependents of Alaska Native and American Indian people including foster children, adopted children, and non-Native women who are pregnant with a Native man’s child (additional documentation required).

Contact your local PRC office if your permanent or last place of residency is in the service areas of the Tanana Chiefs Conference, Ketchikan Indian Community, Metlakatla Indian Community, or Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium.

For a full list of who and what is covered please visit

What is covered?

The traveler program may help patients cover the cost of emergency medical care while traveling out of Alaska including traveling out of the United States. Emergency is defined as any medical condition for which immediate medical attention is necessary to prevent the death or serious impairment of the health of the individual.

Services not covered include non-emergent care, routine care, dental care, medications purchased while traveling, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, or inpatient and outpatient substance abuse services.

If you are moving, ANMC PRC is only able to provide coverage for emergent medical services for 180 days from the day you left Alaska.

What do I need to do?

  1. Prior to your travel, verify if there is an Indian Health Service or Tribal facility close to where you are traveling to. If an IHS or Tribal facility is not available for emergencies, seek care at the closest medical facility. To find the nearest IHS facility search go to
  2. The patient or the patient’s family has the responsibility to notify ANMC PRC within 72-hours, including weekends and holidays, after receiving medical treatment.
  3. If you are traveling out of the United States you may be required to pay for the emergency medical care up front. Notify ANMC PRC within 72-hours and provide the receipts.
  4. Supporting documents required include medical records, flight itinerary or boarding pass, or proof of eligibility within 30 days for all out-of-state medical care received.
  5. Other documents for dependents and/or non-Native women pregnant with a Native man’s child include: birth certificate, marriage certificate, or other document establishing paternity.

When all necessary documentation is received your request for coverage will be reviewed to determine if you are eligible for PRC services and care meets criteria for a medical emergency. Coverage may be approved or denied based on the documentation. Federal regulations mandate that PRC is the “payer of last resort.” You may be contacted for health benefits screening or to verify primary insurance coverage.

How do I contact PRC?

For questions regarding ANMC PRC’s traveler program, full details or to provide your 72-hour notice call the ANMC PRC office at (907) 729-2470 or 1-800-478-1636. If the office is closed, leave a detailed message and include the patient’s name, date of birth and contact phone number.

You may also go to and submit an online message to ANMC PRC.

Browse More Stories

Share This Story