Everyone at some time in life will face adversities, setbacks, and losses. During these hardships, it is important to have healthy coping skills or the ability to move forward and bounce back. As individuals, families, and communities we all have strengths that can increase our health, well-being, and the ability to bounce back after stressful times.
ANTHC invites Alaskans of all ages to share photos, images, or artwork that reflect the individual, family, and community’s sources of strength that build their ability to bounce back and increase resilience.
Ideas for submissions:
- healthy activities
- positive friends
- how you maintain positive mental health – help seeking, connecting to help, proper sleep, nutrition, and exercise
- community support and connection
- family support
- cultural activities and spiritual beliefs
Protective factors or sources of strength are safeguards that lower our risks and build our resilience which is our ability to “bounce back” or “spring back,” thrive, adapt, and cope after hardships and stressful times.
Examples to help you tell us about your submission(s):
- This is how my community supports each other.
- This is how my culture gives me strength.
- This is how my community connects with each other.
- This is how my community gives me strength.
- This is how my family gives me strength.
- This is what gives me strength to get through difficulties in life.
How will winners be selected?
A voting period will take place Oct. 1-8.
Come back between to this webpage between Oct. 1-8 to vote for your favorite entry. All entries will be separated into three age groups: under 19; 20-39; 40 and older. There will be one winner from each age group. The entry with the most votes from each age will be considered the winner. Each winner will receive a $100 gift card.
If you are in a crisis, call the Alaska Careline at 1-877-266-4357 (available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year) or text “4help” to 839863 (available Tuesday-Saturday from 3-11 p.m.) Alaska Careline and text services are free and 100% confidential.